What's in a day?

I am so sleepy, it's by sheer miracle that I don't hit the desk with my face.

It's just been one of those days when all of the functions of your day can be accomplished in a seated position - darn that Bill Gates! I never even have to stand up and walk down the hall to talk to someone. Nope, we have email - thankyouverymuch!Sometimes, when I have been in one seated position for far too many hours, the image of that respected NBC newsreporter who died in Iraq comes to mind. Gruesome, I know...

His name was David Bloom and he didn't die in an explosion or in enemy fire, as one would expect when reporting from a war torn country. No, David Bloom died of the most unfortunate luck. They claim it was the long hours he spent cramped in that army vehicle that led to his death. He'd complained of leg cramps and doctors suspected DVT - also known as deep veinous thrombosis - but true to his journalistic roots, David Bloom downed a couple of aspirin and went on working. Deep veinous thrombosis is when a clot of blood forms from inactivity. This one traveled, and when it hit just the wrong spot, in Bloom's case, his lung, it killed him. He left behind a wife and three beautiful little girls. So sad!

Well, the reason that Bloom comes to mind is because I sit for long periods and I have had blood clotting issues in the past. What? You haven't?
Well, when I realized that my rear is dented in the shape of my chair, I try to stand up and shake around a bit to keep things flowing. Silly, I know, but so necessary. I just hope those Big Brother cameras in the office aren't pointed right at me because they'll think I am having some sort of weird fit shaking like a maniac. But then again, if they did think I was having a fit, would that qualify me for paid medical leave? Hmm....something to ponder.

Today has been a cornucopia of weather changes. Since I am not near the window today, I have asked a coworker who is, to keep me posted. The weather often determines what kind of trip home I will have. Today it has gone from "warm and lovely" to "dark, windy and cold" to "pouring rain!" to "nondescript". All strange singns of the coming of the end of the world, as we know it! Personally, all I care about if the traffic leaving Port Authority at 5 today! Does that make me self-absorbed?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I am the City Dweller

The Splendid Runner

Idol is Down to the Wire