Ellie's Page

As I was set to begin another entry today, with not a thought in mind for its subject, it occurred to me that I have never made mention in this blog about one of my favorite people on the entire planet (my husband Joe notwithstanding). How is it possible, I asked myself, that my little niece has not made the front page of this rag when I live and breathe for her as if she were my very own? So I decided that today is the day!

Welcome to Ellie’s Page!

Forgive me if I get long-winded, but I could easily write volumes about this child!

My Sunshine – my lovely sunshine – who makes me happy, when skies are grey – arrived on planet earth on March 10, 2005. The first thing my brother said to me about her, when I called, was that she had the prettiest mouth and pouty lips he had ever seen. I loved this child at first mention of her impending arrival, while she grew in her mommy’s belly. However, at first sight of her, I was a goner! She is this little miracle. I look at her, and my whole wide world is ok, I am ok, happiness ensues, and sometimes I can barely catch my breath!

She came into our lives at a difficult time for my family and I knew she would make it all right. “Poor kid,” said Ellie’s Daddy, “She’s got such a burden on her little shoulders!” Right then I thought: Of course! How unfair! How dare we place all of our happiness expectancy upon this innocent little infant? Surely, we can go about seeking our happiness elsewhere and just welcome her into our content lives like another little member of it.

Despite the difficulty of watching my Mom’s life leave her and despite having gone through another transplant myself, all negative things disappeared when Ellie was in our midst. When she was carried in, it was as if light entered. From early on, Ellie has been a happy child. A smile is never far from her lips. Her eyes always convey an understanding that is beyond her years.

Even before she spoke, Ellie had a visible understanding of the fragility of my mother. While around everyone else she was playful and rambunctious, around her grandmother, whether she was sitting in a rocking chair or a wheel chair, Ellie was gentle. One perfect example of this was this one day, when she was barely a year old and toddling around a bit. Her Daddy and I were tossing her a small ball and she would toss it back. My mother clapped a little and opened her hands to catch it, too. Ellie took the ball she had been throwing to us, walked it over to my mother, and placed it gently in her hands. Then she backed away, her big eyes focused on her grandmother, as if contemplating her actions. She did not throw it to her; instead, she gave it to her. I was awestruck. Does she know? My mother leaned out as best she could and hugged Ellie and gave her a kiss.

All of Ellie’s triumphs have been my own. Her first words and steps and the first time she recognized me by hopping and giggling, when I came to visit, remain forever etched in my memories.

At her baptism, which my mother attended with great difficulty, Ellie looked and behaved beautifully. She was the image of poise and beauty in her antique gown and small cap. She was as social as possible for someone so young. She incorporated everyone with her eyes. Ultimately, naptime overtook her and no amount of DJ spinning could keep her from slumber.

For her 1st Birthday, held at a kids’ birthday and arcade place at the foot of the Throgs Neck Bridge, our little sunshine was sick. She did not enjoy her party, but instead had to watch as her cousins and playmates took advantage of all that was available. It was a Disney Princess themed occasion and the children feasted on pizza, cake and soda. Despite being under the weather, she looked as precious as Belle, Cinderella, Snow White and Jasmine combined! My mother was not able to go to Ellie’s party, so the celebration continued at home. Ellie received many beautiful gifts, but really, she just wanted to go to sleep in her crib. It would ultimately be the last celebration of her life in which her “abuelita” would participate.

Not three months later, ‘Lita, as Ellie still refers to her, would lose her battle and go quietly in her sleep. The night before she passed, Ellie would “accidentally” dial ‘Lita’s number from her mommy’s cell phone. Both surprised and impressed, Ellie’s mommy would tell my mom that Ellie called her by mistake. Still Ellie and Lita got a last opportunity to mumble a few words to each other before they hung up. I neither believe it was accidental nor a mistake. I know this child is special and I know that whatever forces are in play on the planet, whether it was my mother wishing to hear her granddaughter once more before going, or Ellie somehow sensing that it was her last chance, the exchange happened because it had to happen. It was the law of attraction.

Today Ellie is three. A lot has happened since that cell phone was shut that night. We lost and mourned my mother. After months of despair and indecisiveness, we sold her house. My brother and I both bought homes of our own. We moved. Our lives changed. We changed vehicles, routines, and lifestyles. Joe and I lost everything in a flood. We rebuilt our lives after the flood. I switched my job location. Families with whom we had not spoken to for years reentered our lives offering an olive branch, which we gladly took. Our cousin had her third daughter and today is near giving birth to her fourth - this one is the boy. Her sister is set to bring her second girl to the world! People got ill, others died, some recovered and still life went on. My father traveled to and stayed in his country too long and then, he came back only to feel torn between two countries. Peace and acceptance came to us.

Ellie had a second birthday and then a third.

She is like this new little person far different from the little ball of joy and uncertainty of her early days. As time passes, so her intelligence grows like generously watered and sunned flowers in a garden. I know it is cliché, but she is a force to be reckoned with these days. As a lover of words myself, I am ballooned with pride at her extensive vocabulary and her incredible ability to weave beautifully and grammatically correct sentences. She makes herself be understood and makes you realize that no baby talk or simplification is needed here. It is as if she says: “Talk to me on your level. I completely understand you.” Say something to Ellie once, or correct her just a single time and the child will not make the same mistake again. She is the prototypical sponge absorbing all of the knowledge that surrounds her. It looks like she is a teacher in the making because she will not hesitate to correct you if she hears a mistake. “No, Mani! That’s not circles, it’s polka-dots,” she tells her old godmother of the blouse she is wearing. Then her old godmother agrees and says: “I stand corrected, my darling child!”

When you are alone with Ellie, you feel like you are with someone, not so much a child as a person with whom you can find great companionship and camaraderie. She is alive with wonderment and joy and she brings that to you and places it in your lap.

When you bring Ellie to a restaurant, you need not worry. She sits like a little lady. She peruses the menu with her mommy or daddy, then she will give the waiter or waitress her order on her own. She knows what she wants and will ask for it – please and thank you included. Then, like a grown-up, Ellie will eat her meal, participate in idle chatter and make of the experience a pleasure for all. If balloons are available at this fine eating establishment, she will ask you to get her one and can you make it a pink one, please. In the car, she will sit and seatbelt herself in, if you’re busy. She will remain quiet as a church mouse, or sing with all her might. She will concentrate on the DVD that is playing, or nap for the duration. She will interact with you if you’re whistling a little tune. She will giggle, talk, and make you feel so loved. It is just in this child to do it all!

At Ellie’s house, she will make you feel welcome. She will invite you up to her room to play with her toys. She will ask you if you want to watch Backyardigans with her, or maybe Dora, or Barney too. She loves “Enchanted” and “Alvin and the Chipmunks” these days, her tastes change as quickly as day and night. If you are so lucky as to sleep over her house, she will wake with a joyous smile for you on her face. It is already a good day when you are there with her.


Ellie’s love is genuine and uninterested. She is all encompassing in her hugs and kisses and in her very existence. When Ellie tells me she loves me, I know I will be fine in this life. I can sense the extent of her love. It is love based on purity, truth and devotion. When she tells me she loves me, I am rendered speechless because she fills me with something that defies explanation.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I am the City Dweller

The Splendid Runner

Idol is Down to the Wire